Nebraska Revised Statute 77-6834
Incentives; transferable; when; effect.
(1) The incentives allowed under the ImagiNE Nebraska Act shall not be transferable except in the following situations:
(a) Any credit allowable to a partnership, a limited liability company, a subchapter S corporation, a cooperative, including a cooperative exempt under section 521 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended, a limited cooperative association, or an estate or trust may be distributed to the partners, members, shareholders, patrons, or beneficiaries in the same manner as income is distributed for use against their income tax liabilities, and such partners, members, shareholders, or beneficiaries shall be deemed to have made an underpayment of their income taxes for any recapture required by section 77-6833. A credit distributed shall be considered a credit used and the partnership, limited liability company, subchapter S corporation, cooperative, including a cooperative exempt under section 521 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended, limited cooperative association, estate, or trust shall be liable for any repayment required by section 77-6833;
(b) The credit prescribed in subsection (4) of section 77-6831 may be transferred to a qualified employee leasing company from a taxpayer who is a client-lessee of the qualified employee leasing company with employees performing services at the qualified location or locations of the client-lessee. The credits transferred must be designated for a specific year and cannot be carried forward by the qualified employee leasing company. The credits may only be used by the qualified employee leasing company to offset the income tax withholding liability under section 77-2756 or 77-2757 for withholding for employees performing services for the client-lessee at the qualified location or locations. The offset to such withholding liability must be computed in accordance with subdivision (1)(b) of section 77-6832 based on wages paid to the employees by the qualified employee leasing company, and not the amount paid to the qualified employee leasing company by the client-lessee; and
(c) The incentives previously allowed and the future allowance of incentives may be transferred when an agreement is transferred in its entirety by sale or lease to another taxpayer or in an acquisition of assets qualifying under section 381 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.
(2) The acquiring taxpayer, as of the date of notification to the director of the completed transfer, shall be entitled to any unused credits and to any future incentives allowable under the ImagiNE Nebraska Act.
(3) The acquiring taxpayer shall be liable for any recapture that becomes due after the date of the transfer for the repayment of any benefits received either before or after the transfer.
(4) If a taxpayer dies and there is a credit remaining after the filing of the final return for the taxpayer, the personal representative shall determine the distribution of the credit or any remaining carryover with the initial fiduciary return filed for the estate. The determination of the distribution of the credit may be changed only after obtaining the permission of the director.
(5) The director may disclose information to the acquiring taxpayer about the agreement and prior benefits that is reasonably necessary to determine the future incentives and liabilities of the taxpayer.
- Laws 2020, LB1107, § 34.
- Operative Date: January 1, 2021