Nebraska Revised Statute 71-15,168

Chapter 71


Tort claims; other claims; procedure.

(1) All tort claims against a housing agency shall be governed by the Political Subdivisions Tort Claims Act.

(2) Every person who has any claim against a housing agency, other than a tort claim under subsection (1) of this section, shall file the same, in writing, with the executive director or other person who may be acting as the secretary of such agency. If the claim is in contract, the claim shall state the services provided or articles furnished, as the case may be, and shall show the amount charged and claimed due and unpaid, allowing all just credits. The procedures set forth in this section shall not be applicable to any claim against any agency if the agency advises the claimant in writing that the liability of the agency for such claim, if any, is covered by insurance in whole or in part.

(3) If the claimant is dissatisfied with the disposition of his or her claim, or in the event that such claim is not paid or otherwise satisfied within ninety days after such claim has been filed as provided in this section, the claimant shall request, in writing, a hearing on his or her claim before the board of commissioners of the agency. Such request shall be filed with the chairperson of the agency and shall be made within six months after the filing of the claim as provided by this section. The claimant shall be notified of the time and place of the hearing, and he or she shall have the opportunity to present evidence concerning his or her claim to the board of commissioners. The board of commissioners shall hold such hearing and shall allow, disallow, or otherwise dispose of the claim, as the case may be, with written notice to the claimant, all within six months after the filing of a written request for hearing as provided in this subsection.

(4) This section shall not apply to claims, actions, or proceedings by obligees on bonds of an agency or to claims, actions, or proceedings on notes, guarantees, or other evidences of indebtedness.

(5) The representatives of a housing agency shall not be personally liable as such on its contracts or for torts not committed or directly authorized by them.

Cross References

  • Political Subdivisions Tort Claims Act, see section 13-901.


  • A tort claim against a housing agency is subject to the Political Subdivisions Tort Claims Act regardless of whether it is covered by liability insurance. Harris v. Omaha Housing Auth., 269 Neb. 981, 698 N.W.2d 58 (2005).