Nebraska Revised Statute 85-1816
Employer Matching Contribution Incentive Program; created; purpose; employer; application; State Treasurer; powers and duties.
(1) The Employer Matching Contribution Incentive Program is created. The program shall begin on January 1, 2022, and shall be implemented and administered by the State Treasurer. The purpose of the program is to encourage employers to make matching contributions by providing incentive payments for such contributions.
(2) For purposes of this section:
(a) Employer means any individual, partnership, limited liability company, association, corporation, business trust, legal representative, or organized group of persons employing one or more employees at any one time, but such term does not include the United States, the state, or any political subdivision thereof; and
(b) Matching contribution means a contribution made by an employer to an account established under the Nebraska educational savings plan trust in an amount matching all or part of a contribution made to that same account by an individual who resided in the State of Nebraska during the most recently completed taxable year and is an employee of such employer.
(3) Beginning January 1, 2022, an employer shall be eligible to receive an incentive payment under this section if the employer made matching contributions during the immediately preceding calendar year.
(4) In order to receive an incentive payment under this section, an employer shall submit an application to the State Treasurer on forms prescribed by the State Treasurer. The State Treasurer shall accept applications from January 1 to June 1 of each year beginning in 2022. The application shall include:
(a) The number of employees for whom matching contributions were made in the immediately preceding calendar year;
(b) The amount of the matching contributions made in the immediately preceding calendar year for each employee; and
(c) Any other information required by the State Treasurer.
(5) If the State Treasurer determines that the employer qualifies for an incentive payment under this section, the State Treasurer shall approve the application and shall notify the employer of the approval. The State Treasurer may approve applications until the annual limit provided in subsection (6) of this section has been reached. An employer whose application is approved shall receive an incentive payment equal to twenty-five percent of the total matching contributions made during the immediately preceding calendar year, not to exceed two thousand dollars per contributing employee per year. An employer shall not receive an incentive payment for a matching contribution if the employer claimed an income tax deduction pursuant to subdivision (8)(b) of section 77-2716 for such matching contribution. Employers shall be limited to one incentive payment per beneficiary. The matching contributions for which incentive payments are made shall not be used to pay expenses associated with attending kindergarten through grade twelve.
(6) The State Treasurer may approve a total of two hundred fifty thousand dollars of incentive payments each calendar year.
(7) On or before June 30, 2022, and on or before June 30 of each year thereafter, the State Treasurer shall determine the total amount of incentive payments approved for the year, shall transfer such amount from the College Savings Plan Expense Fund or the Unclaimed Property Trust Fund, as determined by the State Treasurer, to the College Savings Incentive Cash Fund, and shall distribute such incentive payments to the approved employers.
(8) The State Treasurer may adopt and promulgate rules and regulations to carry out the Employer Matching Contribution Incentive Program.