Nebraska Revised Statute 77-2704.57
(1) Sales and use tax shall not be imposed on the gross receipts from the sale, lease, or rental of personal property for use in a C-BED project or community-based energy development project. This exemption shall be conditioned upon filing requirements for the exemption as imposed by the Tax Commissioner. The requirements imposed by the Tax Commissioner shall be related to ensuring that the property purchased qualifies for the exemption. The Tax Commissioner may require the filing of the documents showing compliance with section 70-1907, the organization of the project, the distribution of the payments, the power purchase agreements, the project pro forma, articles of incorporation, operating agreements, and any amendments or changes to these documents during the life of the power purchase agreement.
(2) The Tax Commissioner shall notify an electric utility that has a power purchase agreement with a C-BED project if there is a change in project ownership which makes the project no longer eligible as a C-BED project. Purchase of a C-BED project by an electric utility prior to the end of the power purchase agreement disqualifies the C-BED project for the exemption, but the Department of Revenue may not recover the amount of the sales and use tax that was not paid by the project prior to the purchase.
(3) For purposes of this section, the terms (a) C-BED project or community-based energy development project, (b) gross power purchase agreement payments, (c) payments to the local community, and (d) qualified owner have the definitions found in section 70-1903.
(4) The Department of Revenue may examine the actual payments and the distribution of the payments to determine if the projected distributions were met. If the payment distributions to qualified owners do not meet the requirements of this section, the department may recover the amount of the sales or use tax that was not paid by the project at any time up until the end of three years after the end of the power purchase agreement.
(5) At any time prior to the end of the power purchase agreements, the project may voluntarily surrender the exemption granted by the Tax Commissioner and pay the amount of sales and use tax that would otherwise have been due.
(6) The amount of the tax due under either subsection (4) or (5) of this section shall be increased by interest at the rate specified in section 45-104.02, as such rate may from time to time be adjusted, from the date the tax would have been due if no exemption was granted until the date paid.
Laws 2007, LB367, § 11;
Laws 2008, LB916, § 21;
Laws 2009, LB561, § 5;
Laws 2010, LB888, § 103;
Laws 2012, LB828, § 18;
Laws 2013, LB283, § 5;
Laws 2014, LB402, § 4.
Effective Date: July 18, 2014