Nebraska Revised Statute 40-115
The phrase head of a family, as used in sections 40-101 to 40-116, includes within its meanings every person who has residing on the premises with him or her and under his or her care and maintenance:
(1) His or her minor child or the minor child of his or her deceased wife or husband;
(2) A minor brother or sister or the minor child of a deceased brother or sister;
(3) A father, mother, grandfather, or grandmother;
(4) The father, mother, grandfather, or grandmother of a deceased husband or wife;
(5) An unmarried sister, brother, or any other of the relatives mentioned in this section who have attained the age of majority and are unable to take care of or support themselves; or
(6) A surviving spouse who resides in property which would have qualified for a homestead exemption if the deceased spouse were still alive and married to the surviving spouse.
Laws 1879, § 15, p. 60;
R.S.1913, § 3090;
C.S.1922, § 2830;
C.S.1929, § 40-115;
R.S.1943, § 40-115;
Laws 1979, LB 80, § 103;
Laws 1994, LB 760, § 1.