After reviewing an application received in proper form, the department may issue to the applicant a permit or license. The department may refuse to issue a permit or license to any person:
(1) Who previously had a permit or license issued under the motor fuel laws of any state which, prior to the time of filing the application, has been suspended or canceled for cause;
(2) Who is a subterfuge for the real party in interest whose license, prior to the time of filing the application, has been suspended or canceled for cause;
(3) Which has as a partner, limited liability company member, or shareholder, with a ten percent or larger ownership interest, any person who is unable to obtain a license or permit in his or her own name;
(4) Who is not in compliance with requirements of the State Fire Marshal regarding underground storage tanks;
(5) Who is not in compliance with the Department of Agriculture regarding weights and measures;
(6) Who has been convicted of a felony in the last ten years; or
(7) Upon other sufficient cause being shown.
Before such refusal, the department shall grant the applicant a hearing and shall grant him or her at least ten days' written notice of the time and place.