(1) An operator's license or a state identification card shall include a veteran designation on the front of the license or card as directed by the department if the individual applying for such license or card is eligible for the license or card and:
(a)(i) Has served in the United States Army, United States Army Reserve, United States Navy, United States Navy Reserve, United States Marine Corps, United States Marine Corps Reserve, United States Coast Guard, United States Coast Guard Reserve, United States Air Force, United States Air Force Reserve, or National Guard and was discharged or otherwise separated with a characterization of honorable or general (under honorable conditions) from such service; or
(ii) Has served as a commissioned officer in the United States Public Health Service or the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, was detailed to any branch of the armed forces of the United States for service on active or reserve duty, and was discharged or otherwise separated with a characterization of honorable or general (under honorable conditions) as proven with valid orders from the United States Department of Defense, a statement of service provided by the United States Public Health Service, or a report of transfer or discharge provided by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration;
(b) Registers with the Department of Veterans' Affairs pursuant to section 80-414 as verification of such service; and
(c) Indicates on the application under section 60-484 his or her wish to include such veteran designation on his or her license or card.
(2) The Department of Motor Vehicles shall consult the registry established pursuant to section 80-414 before placing the veteran designation on the operator's license or state identification card issued to the applicant. Such designation shall not be authorized unless the registry verifies the applicant's eligibility. If eligible, the designation to be placed on the applicant's license or card shall be as follows:
(a) The words "Guard-Veteran" for any veteran of the National Guard;
(b) The words "Reserve-Veteran" for any veteran who served on reserve duty; or
(c) The word "Veteran" for all other veterans.
(3) If the Director of Motor Vehicles discovers evidence of fraud in an application under this section, the director may summarily cancel the license or state identification card and send notice of the cancellation to the licensee or cardholder. If the Department of Motor Vehicles has information that an individual is no longer eligible for the veteran designation, the department may summarily cancel the license and send notice of the cancellation to the licensee or cardholder. The veteran designation shall not be restored until the Department of Motor Vehicles subsequently verifies the applicant's eligibility by consulting the registry of the Department of Veterans' Affairs.
(4) The veteran designation authorized in this section shall continue to be included on the license or card upon renewal of such license or card if the licensee or cardholder, at the time of renewal, indicates the desire to include the veteran designation.
(5) An individual may obtain a replacement operator's license or state identification card to add or remove the veteran designation authorized in this section by applying to the Department of Motor Vehicles for such replacement license or card and, if adding the veteran designation, by meeting the requirements of subsection (1) of this section. The fee for such replacement license or card shall be the fee provided in section 60-4,115.