(1) Any employer who violates the provisions of section 48-1221 shall be liable to the employee or employees affected in the amount of their unpaid wages, and, in instances of willful violation, in employee suits under subsection (2) of this section up to an additional equal amount as liquidated damages.
(2) Action to recover such liability may be maintained in any court of competent jurisdiction by any one or more employees for and in behalf of himself or themselves and other employees similarly situated. The court in such action shall, in cases of violation in addition to any judgment awarded to the plaintiff or plaintiffs, allow a reasonable attorney's fee to be paid by the defendant, and costs of the action.
(3) No agreement by any such employee to work for less than the wage to which such employee is entitled under the provisions of sections 48-1219 to 48-1227 shall be a bar to any such action or to a voluntary wage restitution of the full amount due under the provisions of sections 48-1219 to 48-1227.
(4) At the written request of any employee claiming to have been paid less than the wage to which he may be entitled under the provisions of sections 48-1219 to 48-1227, the commission may bring any legal action necessary on behalf of the employee to collect such claim for unpaid wages. The commission shall not be required to pay the filing fee, or other costs, in connection with such action. The commission shall have power to join various claims against the employer in one cause of action.
(5) In proceedings under the provisions of this section, the court may order other affirmative action as appropriate, including reinstatement of employees discharged in violation of the provisions of sections 48-1219 to 48-1227.
(6) The commission shall have power to petition any court of competent jurisdiction to restrain violations of section 48-1221 and for such affirmative relief as the court may deem appropriate, including restoration of unpaid wages and reinstatement of employees, consistent with the purpose of sections 48-1219 to 48-1227.