Nebraska Revised Statute 77-3001
For purposes of the Mechanical Amusement Device Tax Act, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) Person means an individual, partnership, limited liability company, society, association, joint-stock company, corporation, estate, receiver, lessee, trustee, assignee, referee, or other person acting in a fiduciary or representative capacity, whether appointed by a court or otherwise, and any combination of individuals;
(2) Mechanical amusement device means any machine which, upon insertion of a coin, currency, credit card, or substitute into the machine, operates or may be operated or used for a game, contest, or amusement of any description, such as, by way of example, but not by way of limitation, pinball games, shuffleboard, bowling games, radio-ray rifle games, baseball, football, racing, boxing games, and coin-operated pool tables. Mechanical amusement device also includes game and draw lotteries and coin-operated automatic musical devices. The term does not mean vending machines which dispense tangible personal property, devices located in private homes for private use, pickle card dispensing devices which are required to be registered with the Department of Revenue pursuant to section 9-345.03, or devices which are mechanically constructed in a manner that would render their operation illegal under the laws of the State of Nebraska;
(3) Operator means any person who operates a place of business in which a machine or device owned by him or her is physically located or any person who places and who either directly or indirectly controls or manages any machine or device;
(4) Distributor means any person who sells, leases, or delivers possession or custody of a machine or mechanical device to operators thereof for a consideration either directly or indirectly received;
(5) Whenever in the act, the words machine or device are used, they refer to mechanical amusement device; and
(6) Whenever in the act, the words machine, device, person, operator, or distributor are used, the words in the singular include the plural and in the plural include the singular.
- Laws 1969, c. 635, § 1, p. 2541;
- Laws 1977, LB 353, § 1;
- Laws 1993, LB 121, § 514;
- Laws 1997, LB 317, § 1.
Hourly fee pool tables that are not coin operated are excluded from the definition of "mechanical amusement device" in subsection (2) of this section. Because in regard to the legitimate purposes of the Mechanical Amusement Device Tax Act, a substantial difference of situation or circumstance exists between coin-operated amusement devices and other forms of amusement for which an hourly fee is collected, the act is not "special legislation" in violation of Neb. Const. Article III, section 18. Big John's Billiards, Inc. v. Balka, 260 Neb. 702, 619 N.W.2d 444 (2000).