Nebraska Revised Statute 77-2792
Income tax; Tax Commissioner; abate unpaid assessment; waive penalties or interest.
(1) The Tax Commissioner may abate the unpaid portion of the assessment of any income tax or any liability in respect thereto which (a) is excessive in amount, (b) is assessed after the expiration of the period of limitations properly applicable thereto, (c) is erroneously or illegally assessed, or (d) is the result of an inconsistent position under section 1311 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986.
(2) No claim for abatement shall be filed by a taxpayer in respect to an assessment of any income tax imposed under the Nebraska Revenue Act of 1967.
(3) The Tax Commissioner may abate the unpaid portion of the assessment of any tax or any liability in respect thereto if he or she determines under uniform rules prescribed by him or her that the administration and collection costs involved would not warrant collection of the amount due.
(4) In all proceedings under the Nebraska Revenue Act of 1967, the Tax Commissioner may act for and on behalf of the people of the State of Nebraska. The Tax Commissioner in his or her discretion may waive all or part of any penalties provided by such act or interest on delinquent taxes at the rate specified in section 45-104.02, as such rate may from time to time be adjusted.
- Laws 1967, c. 487, § 92, p. 1614;
- Laws 1991, LB 240, § 2;
- Laws 1991, LB 773, § 18;
- Laws 1992, Fourth Spec. Sess., LB 1, § 37;
- Laws 2008, LB914, § 13.