The Legislature hereby finds and declares that:
(1) The people of the State of Nebraska have a fundamental interest in the orderly development of the state and its regions;
(2) The state has a positive interest in the establishment of a comprehensive state and regional planning process and in the preparation and maintenance of long-range, comprehensive plans and programs for the physical, social, and economic development of the whole state and of each of its regions, which plans and programs can serve as a guide for local governmental units and state departments, agencies, and institutions;
(3) The continued growth of the state, particularly in urban areas, and the general readjustment of people and the economy in many of the state's rural regions present problems which cannot be met by individual counties or cities;
(4) Planning by local governmental units can be strengthened when conducted in relation to statewide and regional studies and planning; and
(5) Direct leadership by the Governor is required to assure the coordination of state and local plans and programs with the planning and programming activities of federal, state, and regional bodies.